The "improving" troika of 2013:
- The heterogeneous impact of conditional cash transfers (with Sebastian Galiani). Journal of Public Economics, 2013.
- Giving till it helps? Alumnae giving and children’s college options. Research in Higher Education (with Kristin Butcher and Caitlin Kearns), 2013.
- The impact of Chile's school feeding program on education outcomes. Economics of Education Review, 2013.
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of education and health interventions in developing countries. Journal of Development Effectiveness, 2012.
- Preschool and maternal labor outcomes: Evidence from a regression discontinuity design. Economic Development and Cultural
Change (with Samuel Berlinski and Sebastian Galiani), 2011.
- The effects of quantitative skills training on college outcomes and peers.
Economics of Education Review (with Kristin Butcher and Corrine
- Education reforms (with Susanna Loeb). In Targeting
Investments in Children: Fighting
Poverty When Resources Are Limited, ed. Phil Levine and David
research methods in the economics of
education. In Economics
of Education, ed. Dominic J. Brewer and
Patrick J. McEwan. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2010.
- Admissions lotteries
in charter schools (with Robert Olsen). In Taking
Measure of Charter Schools, ed. Julian Betts and Paul T. Hill, 2010.
- Native American mascots and alumni giving (with Clive Belfield). In The Native American Mascot Controversy: A Handbook, ed. C. Richard King, 2010.
- The benefits of delayed primary school enrollment: Discontinuity estimates using exact birth dates.
Journal of Human Resources (with Joseph S. Shapiro), 2008.
- Can schools reduce the indigenous test score gap? Evidence from Chile.
Journal of Development Studies, 2008.
- School choice, stratification, and information on school performance: Lessons from Chile.
Economía (with Miguel Urquiola and Emiliana Vegas), 2008.
- Evaluating multigrade school reform in Latin America.
Comparative Education, 2008.
- Quantitative research methods in education finance and policy.
of research in education finance and policy, ed.
Helen F. Ladd and Edward B. Fiske, 2008.
- The achievement of indigenous students in Guatemalan primary schools.
International Journal of Educational Development (with Marisol
- Breaking ground: Analysis of the assessment system and impact of Mexico's teacher incentive program "Carrera Magisterial" (with Lucrecia Santibáñez, José Felipe Martinez, Ashlesha Datar, Claude Messan Setodji, and Ricardo Basurto-Dávila), 2007.
- Roommate effects on grades: Evidence from first-year housing assignments.
Research in Higher Education (with Kristen A. Soderberg), 2006.
economic approach to education policy implementation (with Susanna
Loeb). In New
directions in education policy implementation: Confronting complexity,
ed. Meredith Honig, 2006.
- The central role of noise in evaluating interventions that use test scores to rank schools.
American Economic Review (with Kenneth Y. Chay and Miguel
- Teacher and principal
incentives in Mexico (with Lucrecia Santibañez).
to improve teaching: Lessons from Latin America,
ed. Emiliana Vegas, 2005.
- The indigenous test score gap in Bolivia and Chile.
Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2004. Translated as: La brecha de puntajes obtenidos en las pruebas por los niños indígenas en Sudamérica. In Etnicidad, raza, género y educación en América Latina,
ed. Donald R. Winkler and Santiago Cueto. Santiago: PREAL.
- The potential impact of vouchers.
Peabody Journal of Education, 2004.
- How effective are private schools in Latin America?
Comparative Education Review (with Marie-Andrée Somers and J.
Douglas Willms), 2004.
- Why does academic achievement vary across countries? Evidence from Cuba and Mexico.
Education Economics (with Jeffrey H. Marshall), 2004.
- Peer effects on student achievement: Evidence from Chile.
Economics of Education Review, 2003.
- Does privatization
improve education? The case of Chile’s national voucher plan (with
Martin Carnoy). In
Choosing choice: School choice in international perspective, ed.
N. Plank and Gary Sykes, 2003.
alternativas a la asignación estatal de recursos. In Equidad
financimiento de la educación en América Latina, ed. Alejandro
analysis as an evaluation tool (with Henry M. Levin). In International
educational evaluation, ed. Thomas Kellaghan and Daniel L.
- Public subsidies for private schooling: A comparative analysis of Argentina and Chile.
Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, 2002. Translated as: Educación
pública y privada en el cono sur: Un análisis comparativo entre la
Argentina y Chile. In Las reformas educativas en la década de 1990:
Un estudio comparado de Argentina, Chile y Uruguay, ed. Martin
Carnoy, Gustavo Cosse, and Cristián Cox. Buenos Aires:
Ministerio de Educación.
- Cost-effectiveness and
educational policy. In Cost-effectiveness
and educational policy, ed. Henry M. Levin and Patrick J.
Yearbook of the American Education Finance Association. Larchmont, NY:
Eye on Education (with Henry M. Levin), 2002.
cost-effectiveness methods used correctly? In Cost-effectiveness
and educational policy, ed. Henry M. Levin and Patrick J.
McEwan. Yearbook of the American Education Finance Association.
Larchmont, NY: Eye on Education, 2002.
- The effectiveness of public, Catholic, and non-religious private schools in Chile’s voucher system.
Education Economics, 2001.
vouchers in developing countries: The
cases of Chile and Colombia (with Martin Carnoy). In Privatizing
education, ed. Henry M.
- The politics of rural school reform: Escuela Nueva in Colombia (with Luis Benveniste). Journal of Education Policy, 2001.
- The potential impact of large-scale voucher programs.
Review of Educational Research, 2000.
- The effectiveness and efficiency of private schools in Chile’s voucher system.
Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis (with Martin
- Constraints to implementing educational innovations: The case of multigrade schools.
International Review of Education (with Luis A.
- The impact of family and community resources on student outcomes: An assessment of the international literature with implications for New Zealand (with Thomas Nechyba and Dina Older-Aguilar). Wellington: New Zealand Ministry of Education, 2000.
- Private costs and the rate of return to
Applied Economics Letters, 1999.
- Recruitment of rural teachers in developing countries: An economic analysis.
Teaching and Teacher Education, 1999.
- The effectiveness of multigrade schools in Colombia.
International Journal of Educational Development, 1998. Translated
as: La efectividad del programa Escuela Nueva
en Colombia. Ensayos sobre Economía Cafetera.