- Improving early-grade literacy in East Africa: Experimental evidence from Kenya and Uganda (with Adrienne Lucas, Moses Ngware, and Moses Oketch). Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, forthcoming.
- Improving middle school quality in poor countries: Evidence from the Honduran Sistema de Aprendizaje Tutorial (with Erin Murphy-Graham, David Torres Irribarra, Claudia Aguilar, and Renán Rápalo). Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, forthcoming.
- The heterogeneous impact of conditional cash transfers (with Sebastian Galiani). Journal of Public Economics, 2013.
- The impact of Chile's school feeding program on education outcomes. Economics of Education Review, 2013.
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of education and health interventions in developing countries. Journal of Development Effectiveness, 2012.
- Preschool and maternal labor outcomes: Evidence from a regression discontinuity design. Economic Development and Cultural
Change (with Samuel Berlinski and Sebastian Galiani), 2011.
- The effects of quantitative skills training on college outcomes and peers.
Economics of Education Review (with Kristin Butcher and Corrine
- Can schools reduce the indigenous test score gap? Evidence from Chile.
Journal of Development Studies, 2008.
- School choice, stratification, and information on school performance: Lessons from Chile.
Economía (with Miguel Urquiola and Emiliana Vegas), 2008.
- Evaluating multigrade school reform in Latin America.
Comparative Education, 2008.
- Quantitative research methods in education finance and policy.
of research in education finance and policy, ed.
Helen F. Ladd and Edward B. Fiske, 2008.
- Breaking ground: Analysis of the assessment system and impact of Mexico's teacher incentive program "Carrera Magisterial" (with Lucrecia Santibáñez, José Felipe Martinez, Ashlesha Datar, Claude Messan Setodji, and Ricardo Basurto-Dávila), 2007.
- The central role of noise in evaluating interventions that use test scores to rank schools.
American Economic Review (with Kenneth Y. Chay and Miguel
- Teacher and principal
incentives in Mexico (with Lucrecia Santibañez).
to improve teaching: Lessons from Latin America,
ed. Emiliana Vegas, 2005.
- The potential impact of vouchers.
Peabody Journal of Education, 2004.
- How effective are private schools in Latin America?
Comparative Education Review (with Marie-Andrée Somers and J.
Douglas Willms), 2004.
- Public subsidies for private schooling: A comparative analysis of Argentina and Chile.
Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, 2002. Translated as: Educación
pública y privada en el cono sur: Un análisis comparativo entre la
Argentina y Chile. In Las reformas educativas en la década de 1990:
Un estudio comparado de Argentina, Chile y Uruguay, ed. Martin
Carnoy, Gustavo Cosse, and Cristián Cox. Buenos Aires:
Ministerio de Educación.
- The effectiveness of public, Catholic, and non-religious private schools in Chile’s voucher system.
Education Economics, 2001.
- The potential impact of large-scale voucher programs.
Review of Educational Research, 2000.
- The effectiveness and efficiency of private schools in Chile’s voucher system.
Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis (with Martin
- The effectiveness of multigrade schools in Colombia.
International Journal of Educational Development, 1998. Translated
as: La efectividad del programa Escuela Nueva
en Colombia. Ensayos sobre Economía Cafetera.